Ahhhh, meatloaf… Nothing says “Home” like meatloaf and mashed potatoes. This meatloaf is so yummy and definitely a crowd pleaser! The sautéed veggies and ketchup/BBQ sauce mix inside and out really make this meatloaf stand out from other recipes 🙂
1 sweet onion chopped
6-8 mini bell peppers chopped or 1 large bell pepper
1 garlic clove chopped
Around 2 lbs ground meat (I used a little over 2) and you can use venison, beef, turkey, pork, or any combination of those together
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays Original)
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper
1 T Butter (optional)
1. Put your chopped veggies, olive oil, butter, salt & pepper in a pan and sauté about 10-12 minutes before adding in garlic. Then sauté another 5 minutes or so.
2. After your veggies are cooked, combine them in a large bowl with meat, 1 egg, Worcestershire sauce, 2 T ketchup, 1 T BBQ sauce, 1/4 tsp garlic salt, 1/4 tsp paprika, and give it a little regular salt and pepper too.
3. It’s at this point I like to add my breadcrumbs. I fill up a 1 cup measuring cup and sprinkle it in there until I get the consistency I’m looking for. I used just right under a full cup. You want it to be sticky and sort of wet, but moldable enough to hold its shape on the pan. Once you’re happy with your texture, place your mixture onto a cookie sheet that’s been covered in foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. It should look like this:
4. Now you’re going to make a glaze for the meatloaf. I used about 1/3 cup of ketchup and probably 2 T BBQ sauce, but honestly I didn’t measure it. I usually just squirt it into a bowl until it looks right 🙂
5. Pour the glaze all over your meatloaf and make sure it covers all the meat.
6. Place in a preheated 375F oven for 50-60 minutes.
7. When it’s done it will look like this bad boy right here:
8. Serve with mashed potatoes and southern turnip greens for the perfect meal!