Every week at the grocery store I find myself buying two boxes of those applesauce squeeze things for my son. Only four come in a box, and they’re freakin expensive for what they are! So today I decided enough is enough – I can start making my own applesauce! My son loves it and I just bought a homemade baby food kit that lets you put baby food into squeeze pouches. This recipe made 16 pouches for me (roughly 8 cups of applesauce).
8 apples (I used honeycrisp)
1 c apple juice (if you don’t have this, you can use water)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c white sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1. Peel your apples. I like to use an actual peeler instead of a knife because you keep more apple that way.
2. Dump your apple juice into a pot or Dutch oven. I used a juice box!
3. Slice your apples into the same size so they’ll cook evenly and at the same time. Then dump into your pot.
4. Squeeze your two lemons in there.
5. Bring to a boil for one minute, put the lid on, and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Stir halfway through.
6. Once it’s done cooking, add both sugars, cinnamon, and stir together.
7. Now take your pot over to your food processor or blender and work in batches to purée into a perfectly delicious consistency. It took me two batches.
8. Now you’re done! You can put it into these squeeze thingies like I did, or save in a container with a top. I’m freezing my squeeze packs and pulling out a few each week so they’ll be defrosted and ready to eat in the fridge whenever!