This is my winning recipe for breakfast casserole from a contest through the United Supermarket grocery stores. 😊
This is my go-to breakfast casserole for when I’m feeding a small crowd or have company coming over. It’s perfect to make the day before and let it sit in the fridge until the morning of when you pop it in the oven. I’ve made it with chorizo before instead of bacon and that’s pretty good too. But what can I say? Bacon has my heart! 🐷😍
- 8 corn tortillas (highly recommend corn, but if you can only find flour that’s ok too)
- 8 eggs
- 1 T butter
- 2 cups half and half (or you can make your own half and half with 1 c milk and 1 c heavy cream)
- 2 cups of your favorite grated cheese (you can mix and match any cheese here)
- 8 sweet baby bell peppers chopped or if you can’t find those 2 regular bell peppers any color chopped
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 chopped jalapeño (optional but adds a nice heat)
- 1.5 pounds of bacon cooked crispy and crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Pico de Gallo for topping
1. In a 9×13 baking dish that’s either been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or buttered line your corn tortillas on the bottom.
2. In a large skillet dump your bacon and cook until crispy. Drain off most of the fat and reserve about a tablespoon in the skillet for the next round of cooking. Set bacon aside on paper towels to drain and cool.
3. Dump your chopped onion and peppers into your skillet and add 1 T butter and season with salt and pepper. Sauté on medium high heat for about 15 minutes or until all soft and starting to caramelize.
3. Now that your bacon has cooled, crumble the bacon all over your tortillas. It would probably look nicer if I cut the bacon all uniform with a knife, but if I use my hands it’ll give me an excuse to eat the little pieces stuck to my hands later. No regrets.
4. Now sprinkle your cooked vegetables all over your bacon.
5. Whisk together 8 eggs and your cream and milk and season liberally with salt and pepper.
6. Pour egg mixture over your bacon and veggies.
7. Take two cups of your favorite grated cheeses and sprinkle on top.
8. This is where I cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge overnight until I need it in the morning. Once ready to cook, place in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until egg is cooked through and the sides start to turn golden.
9. After it’s cooled down a bit out of the oven, top with Pico de Gallo and pour yourself a delicious mimosa!