I picked so many green tomatoes today, and aside from using most of them for my Chow Chow, I thought I’d fry some for a delicious Southern treat.
First, let’s bask in the glory of my 18.6 lbs of green tomatoes…
It’s glorious. Also, I think you can see that I am most definitely team Targaryen. I’m also in the R + L = J conspiracy theory group, and have high hopes to see my boy Jon rise from the dead next season. But anyway, back to my tomatoes…
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1 c all purpose white or wheat flour
- 1 c cornmeal based fish fry (I love the Louisiana fish fry mix)
- 1 egg
- 1 T milk
- Canola, peanut, vegetable, or your favorite oil for frying
1. Slice up those emerald beauties. Also, start heating up your frying oil. You’re shooting for 350, so it should be on medium to slightly higher than medium heat.
2. Prepare your egg wash by mixing your egg with 1 T milk.
3. Prepare a little batter station for you to dip your ‘maters in. Fish fry in one shallow dish, flour in another, and your egg wash mixture in the middle.
4. Now dredge your ‘maters in the flour first, shake off the excess, then bring it over to your egg wash bowl.
5. Now dredge it through the fish fry and shake off any excess.
6. When your oil is ready to go, put those puppies in there for about a minute to a minute and a half, then flip them over. After another minute or so, take them out and allow them to drain. You can use a paper towel, but both sides will stay crispy better if you allow it to drain on something that elevates it like a cooling rack over a paper towel.
Now flip… Another minute on this side and they’ll be done.
Now allow them to drain and cool for a minute before eating. Absolutely divine!
I LOVE fried green tomatoes — still waiting to get some from my garden! I’m going to try your recipe next time I make them. I have the worst time getting the coating to stay on them! (Also in the R+L=J group, btw.) 😉