I picked so many green tomatoes today, and aside from using most of them for my Chow Chow, I thought I’d fry some for a delicious Southern treat.
First, let’s bask in the glory of my 18.6 lbs of green tomatoes…
It’s glorious. Also, I think you can see that I am most definitely team Targaryen. I’m also in the R + L = J conspiracy theory group, and have high hopes to see my boy Jon rise from the dead next season. But anyway, back to my tomatoes…
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1 c all purpose white or wheat flour
- 1 c cornmeal based fish fry (I love the Louisiana fish fry mix)
- 1 egg
- 1 T milk
- Canola, peanut, vegetable, or your favorite oil for frying
1. Slice up those emerald beauties. Also, start heating up your frying oil. You’re shooting for 350, so it should be on medium to slightly higher than medium heat.
6. When your oil is ready to go, put those puppies in there for about a minute to a minute and a half, then flip them over. After another minute or so, take them out and allow them to drain. You can use a paper towel, but both sides will stay crispy better if you allow it to drain on something that elevates it like a cooling rack over a paper towel.
Now allow them to drain and cool for a minute before eating. Absolutely divine!