I love an easy and delicious weeknight meal, especially when it’s something healthy and satisfying. This is a quick and easy taco salad that uses one of those .49 cent taco seasoning packets from the seasoning isle. Yes, I could’ve gone with a homemade taco seasoning, but really I just didn’t feel like it today😄
Ingredients for taco meat part:
- 1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey, venison, even chicken would work)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 chopped bell pepper or 3 chopped sweet mini bell peppers (as pictured)
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper chopped (seeded and deveined)
- 1 can drained black beans
Ingredients for salad and optional toppings:
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Crushed tortilla chips
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat drizzle a little olive oil over your onion, peppers, and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes.
2. Now that it got a bit of a head start cooking, add your ground meat to the skillet.
3. Stir occasionally until browned and cooked completely, then drain off any excess fat if necessary.
4. Add your packet of taco seasoning and 2/3 c water. Turn the heat down to simmer and allow to cook for about five minutes or until some of the liquid has cooked off.
5. Now add your can of drained black beans and allow it to heat up a minute before turning the heat off and serving over your salad.
I love fresh avocado, a scoop of sour cream, and fresh lime juice squeezed on mine for the dressing. If you like something sweeter try it with Catalina dressing. Both ways are delicious!
Y’all remember just last week I posted about my new Veggetti Spiral Vegetable Slicer, Makes Veggie Pasta and how much I loved it. Well I made another dish with it very similar to the Seafood Arrabbiata, except this is a quick and easy weeknight meal I made with leftover grilled chicken. If you don’t have any leftover chicken on hand, 1/2 of one of those rotisserie chickens from the grocery store would be perfect!
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 lb diced chicken
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
- 2-3 cloves chopped garlic
- 4 zucchini or squash for Vegetti noodles
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Dried parsley flakes
1. Add onion and a drizzle of olive oil to your skillet and season with salt and pepper. Sauté 3-4 minutes on medium high heat.
2. Now add your chopped garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté another minute.
3. As I explained in my Seafood Arrabbiata post, whole peeled tomatoes are the highest quality canned tomato, so I prefer to use them over diced tomatoes. Drain and chop them up and add them to your skillet with tomato sauce as well as your parsley flakes and bring to a boil.
4. Now add your squash and zucchini noodles to your skillet and throw in your diced chicken as well. Turn the heat down to a simmer and allow noodles to soften up a bit in the sauce. Taste to see if you want to add any salt and pepper or any additional heat with more red pepper flakes.
Enjoy your quick and easy meal!