I love an easy and delicious weeknight meal, especially when it’s something healthy and satisfying. This is a quick and easy taco salad that uses one of those .49 cent taco seasoning packets from the seasoning isle. Yes, I could’ve gone with a homemade taco seasoning, but really I just didn’t feel like it today😄
Ingredients for taco meat part:
- 1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey, venison, even chicken would work)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 chopped bell pepper or 3 chopped sweet mini bell peppers (as pictured)
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper chopped (seeded and deveined)
- 1 can drained black beans
Ingredients for salad and optional toppings:
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Crushed tortilla chips
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat drizzle a little olive oil over your onion, peppers, and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes.
2. Now that it got a bit of a head start cooking, add your ground meat to the skillet.
3. Stir occasionally until browned and cooked completely, then drain off any excess fat if necessary.
4. Add your packet of taco seasoning and 2/3 c water. Turn the heat down to simmer and allow to cook for about five minutes or until some of the liquid has cooked off.
5. Now add your can of drained black beans and allow it to heat up a minute before turning the heat off and serving over your salad.
I love fresh avocado, a scoop of sour cream, and fresh lime juice squeezed on mine for the dressing. If you like something sweeter try it with Catalina dressing. Both ways are delicious!